Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Mother's Day Update

Hello all! We are very sorry that we have not posted since getting home. It is not like we don't have anything to do!! Just wanted to update you on the latest since we have had some time to settle in. Everyone is doing great and Jerry and I never see each other! This is the biggest change that has taken the most adjustment. It isn't the four children, or the laundry, or the cooking, or the sleeplessness, it is the lack of Mama and Papa time. Jerry and I love being together so this has been a huge change for us.
The children have been adjusting well. Vica has some sleep issues that we are working through that were expected. Nothing surprsing here. Daniel has truly settled into his new life and is the funniest of all the kids! Christian is ALL boy and certainly tests the limits, but is beginning to understand expectations and boundaries. Olivia is like a totally different child. She smiles all the time. She and I have made huge strides by doing some shopping and rolling her hair. I should not be surprised. Our family has been very blessed since returning to the good ole' US of A!! Our friends, family, and community have been very generous and have helped each of the children in various ways. Thank you to all of those people that have helped with clothes, food, toys, and all of the other various assortment of gifts we have received. We feel like our gifts came home with us from Ukriane and that was certainly enough to make us happy for the rest of our lives!! We can never explain how much our community, family, and friends have meant to us through all of this. We love you and thank each one of you from the bottom of our hearts! We could not have done it without you!
There are so many stories I could tell you that would warm you heart! The children love their new cousins, grandparents, and the neighbors' children. Jerry's football boys had a swing set/tree house put in our backyard for the kids. We play on it every morning and every night!! OM guys- You are fantastic! I beleive in angels and that is exactly what you have been. The slip-and-slide is also a big hit!!! We have lots of scrapes, bumps and bruises in the first two weeks but nothing permanent. I don't think the children have ever had this much activity. One thing is for sure, they are exhausted at the end of the day!
We have begun our doctor visits-not fun!! I took Daniel and Vica last week, and there were no surprises. The things that we discussed were all things that Jerry and I were already aware of, which makes for a huge relief. This week Christian and Olivia will be going so we hope thing go well!
Today was our first day at church and, of course, Mother's Day. The children each had a card for me and some roses this morning. We spent a pretty low key day visiting with grandparents. The chidlren were very excited about going to church for the first time. They made it all of the way through big church!! Daniel fell asleep and Chrisitan and Vica left a few minutes early with Papa, but we will count it as a success. The were so precious dressed in their Sunday clothes. They were beautiful! Our church recognizes all mothers on Mother's Day. We always honor the youngest and oldest mother, and today, they recognized me specifically. They gave me a corsage and it made me cry!! When I returned to our pew, the chidlren were so proud and were grinning from ear to ear. It was a lot of fun. I think they simply honored me for being the brave soul to take on 4 new children at once:) It was a very special day for me.
The kids have been working on their English and are doing great. Olivia and I can actually almost have a conversation, supplemented by charades, of course. It is like hearing you child's first words in overdrive. We are hearing lots of new words everyday!
We have made some new discoveries. Popcorn and movies in Mama and Papa's bed are a huge hit! They are terrified of thunder and lightening. Anytime is thunders, they think we have to got to the basement, like you do for a tornado. Christian is the official weather watcher in these situations and constantly updates us on whethere things are good or bad via a thumbs up or down. We always say the blessing before every meal in English! Each of the children say their own blessing which consists of "Thank you for ..." It is really the highlight of our meals and they are very proud of themselves.
Overall things are good and changing every day. Getting to be a part of many "firsts" is a lot of fun. Jerry is a fantastic dad, as I knew he would be. It is hard to imagine life without them now (except for the laundry, three meals a day, and the staying at home because you can't take four kids anywhere by yourself!). They have been a joy and I would be rich if I had a dollar for the number of times someone has called "Mama!" in one day. And yes-Jerry and I are looking for a new car because we can not drive anywhere as a group. I sure do love my car that I have now, but I guess the family is a little more important. So bring on the "tank", or the minivan, or whatever we end up with. What a blessed problem to have!!!
Love from a new mom,
Amanda

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you finally updated. I have been dying to hear how it's going. It sounds like everything is going great. It still makes me cry to read about everything and everyone. I know you and Jerry will be great parents. I have no doubt about that. These children are very blessed to be able to be yours. I'm glad it was a 'good' Mother's Day for you. Jerry, thanks for the call. I love you.

Love Shirley

Mr. Myers said...

Happy Mother's Day Amanda. So glad I checked in tonight to find your update. It was good to see you at the school but too short a visit. Any chance that you will show up with your family at the art show? It was rescheduled for Monday night. We would love to see you.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things are going well, if not hectic.

And I would be remiss if I didn't say this: Jerry, Happy Mother's Day to the biggest mother I know....

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Glad things are going well. And Happy Mothers Day (a day late!).

The C's said...

Love the update! I cannot wait to see ya'll this weekend. And you did not tell me about the special recognition at church! That is so sweet. I am glad you had a wonderful 1st Mothers Day! Please let me know if there is anything I can bring to you or the kids this weekend. Tell Olivia I heard she looked beautiful at church!:) I hope I can play on the swingset this weekend! haha (if I can fit). See you on Saturday! Love, Kea

Connie said...

I am an adoptive mom of two Russian-born girls (ages 9 & 12 1/2 yrs. at adoption) and became acquainted with your blog (and adoptions!) through Ukrainiac's blog.

Just wanted to encourage you about adjusting to having little or no 'together time' as a couple. DH and I were married 19 years before the Lord gave us our precious girls. It was/is a difficult adjustment at first, but like you, we had/have some wonderful friends, family, and neighbors who gladly (and very capably) stepped in to help us schedule those times.

Whatever you do, start NOW carving out some time together (whether it's just 15 minutes sitting together quietly at home after the kids are in bed or an evening out!). It isn't just for you cause the kids definitely benefit when mom's and dad's relationship is solid and nurtured!

Feel free to contact me through my blog if you'd like to 'chat' about the many blessings and challenges of parenting 'older' foreign-born blessings! :-)

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted! Happy Mother's Day. Love y'all and see you soon.
Dana

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!
After weeks of prayers and anticipation, I can't describe how wonderful it was to finally see you and those precious children at church Sunday. They are beautiful! We, as your church family, are here for you and willing to help with anything you need! Including that well deserved date night! :)
Love and Blessings,
The Garner's

Emily said...

Amanda,
Happy Mother's Day to YOU! i thought about you SEVERAL times throughout the day. i've wanted to call you but never know when would be a good time (if any!) to talk. i hope you had a wonderful day. i've been checkin your blog every day..so glad to get an update. the kids sound precious..and sounds like they are adjusting and fitting right in. you should take lttle video clips and upload them so we can see them in action!! love yall..hope to talk to you soon! Em

Anonymous said...

Outstanding, I don't know what else to say. Praise the Lord for the work He is doing with the transition. Shirley showed off their picture and caught everyone up on them the 1st Sunday. I hope you realize how many life's you all have touched; and how much you're loved.
Can't wait to see you.
Love you all,
Steven

Unknown said...

Jerry & Amanda~ Love the update! Can't wait to catch up with you on the phone! I'm impressed that you got 4 dressed and made it to church before it was over. We can't seem to make it on time with just our small crew, haha! The Hood crew is beautiful!
Luv~ Melanie H.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

So great to read your Mother's Day post! Congrats on your first and very successful Mother's Day! That's awesome! And I love that you all made it to church- a miracle in itself.
I want to see some updated pictures!
Love you all!

Michelle Copeland said...

Amanda,
Sounds like things are great around the Hood home! I told you that little Olivia would come around with a little 1 on 1 time with mommy!
I totally understand you not having time to post. 4 kids laundry is a full time job in itself!!! Take it from me, the socks seem to get eaten by the dozens when you send them to the laundry room! Buy the big giant bags for everyone because you will need them. Also, buy some big safty pins and pin them together when they take them off. That way you NEVER have to sort socks! If you can teach them now to do it themselves you will save at least an hour a week! I wish I could tell you that laundry gets easier, but it doesn't. You may do less clothes when they are bigger, but the clothes are bigger so they take up the same amount of room in the washing machine!
I bet Victoria has you both wrapped around her little finger because she would have me wrapped the first minute! She is such a little princess!Can't wait to meet them all! Enjoy the time at home with them!
I bet the boys sure do like the OM football team. They are so handsome!
Talk to you soon!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hello Hood Family, I found your blog after seeing your story in the paper. We are adoptive parents of two wonderful Ukrainian children as well. Unlike you, we did two adoptions. My daughter,7 in a couple of days, was adopted in Aug of 02 and my son, who is 4, has been with us almost 3 years now. We completed his adoption in June of 05. We are in NW Alabama and used Villa Hope in Birmingham. We try to go to the International Adoption Clinic "Family Reunions". Dr. Jennifer Chambers and the rest of the staff at the UAB International Adoption Clinic were a Godsend to us when we got home.
ANYWAY... I just wanted to send another "Congratulations!!" your way. You have a wonderfully beautiful family and if you are anything like my husband and I, you will wonder what in the world y'all did with your time before you were blessed with your kids!!
I wish you all the best and more important, PATIENCE!!
Chester & Kathy Barber, Alma Rose & Lewis
PS - the last part comes from my four year old covering the drain in the shower tonight and flooding the bathroom... Good times!!
Kathy
kjbarber@centurytel.net

Mae said...

Happy Belated Mother's day Amanda! Y'all truly are blessed =)
In Christ,
Daniel & Magen Davis

Mother said...

MY GRANDCHILDREN ARE BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL !!!!!! Big Lee and I love them very much. It is amazing how quickly you can become attached. We knew the minute we saw all of ya'll walking down the airport that this family was meant to be. I never knew grandchildren could bring you such an enormous feeling of happiness and contentment. We are truly blessed. You were right in describing their personalities. Vica had Big Lee the first night when she fell asleep in his arms after he kissed her new baby good-night. I also don't know of anyone who could have gotten your Dad on his hands and knees under the dining room table to get the "Kish-Ka" (Cat). Daniel is a joy to behold. He is so tiny but has such a huge personality. He talks with his hands and has such a big smile. You can't help but love him. Christian is all boy and just wants to please, play outside and be loved and now Olvia ( the winner of the "Honey" prize). She is beautiful and is truly happy. She smiles all the time and loves just being a girl. Amanda, you will see yourself in her as the days so by. You loved to be dressed up and look beautiful when you were little and so does Olivia. I get so emotional when I am around them and they call "Babuska Honey". I can't wait for birthday parties, trips to the beach and Christmas. Your Dad as you remember makes the BEST Santa Claus. Well I better go, I have rambled enough. I just wanted you to know how thrilled we are at being grandparents to these remarkable children. As far as time alone with Jerry, you will have to leave town for that. Dad and I tried to do it at least once a year when you and Lee were little. ( Don't you remember). We are always available to babysit; just give us a call. I am really signing off now.
Love to you both,
Honey and Big Lee

Aimee said...

I am overwhelmed by this amazing story...thank you for sharing your incredible journey of love, hope, and faith. Your family is such an inspiration. What else can I say but, 'I saw God today.' May He continue to bless you richly!

Hollie and Janie said...

Hi,
I found your blog through Hillary's, and I am so glad that I did. I am so happy for you and your husband!! Happy Late Mother's Day!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I had a Mother's Day card for you but couldn't find your address! I know you had a wonderful day. We love ya'll.
Amy Blount

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
You should have been an English teacher--you are a great writer! :)
I was grinning from ear to ear reading your posts. Those babies have two wonderful parents!
Joe

Tonya said...

Sounds like everyone is adjusting beautifully:). We have a little girl about Vica's age (?, ours is three) from UA and we live down the road from you in Alabaster.

Congrats, again. You have some really cute kids- but you already know that, don't you:):):).

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda-

I am so excited for you guys. I got your blog through Beth and I have been trying to keep up with you. I just realized if I clicked on the "comments" button that I could actually leave one!! Ha! I am so so happy for you. The fun is just beginning. I hope that we can catch up soon...I miss ya. Amber

Stephanee&Zach said...

Hi, I came across your blog today - we are in process to adopt 2 from Ukraine as well. I also happened to be reading today about a neat center in Birmingham - we live in Texas but are planning to contact this group to ask some questions about their curriculum. Anyways, if you don't know about it - check it out www.reachorphanswithhope.org/teachingtraining.php Maybe you know these other people that it seems have adopted from your area - the Holmes, Randy and Valerie Hall, and it seems like I have read a few others. I've been emailing with Hollie Holmes because we are trying to host children through the same organization.

Anyways, just fyi! I've enjoyed reading about your family and adoption journey!

Stephanee Potts

Anonymous said...

amanda, oh I have just been crying reading all of your posts...absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see some updated pictures on your blog. I am so happy that you are all doing so well. You ARE a brave soul...and our Lord will certainly bless you for it. Love you girl.