Wednesday, April 30, 2008

HOME

What an incredible journey ! We finally made it back to Bham on Monday evening at 11:30 p.m. The flight began at 10:50 a.m. - Ukraine time. Our facilitator took another family with three boys and us to the airport. From there, a nine hour flight to JFK. Two hour lay over and we are on our way to Atlanta on a two and a half hour flight. The kids did great on the plane. Daniel decided that all people spoke his Russian/English language and talked a lady's ears off for the entire flight. She spoke Russian so it helped them remain interested and calm. It has been this way for the entire trip. God has always put a person in front of us that has helped with the process or entertained the children. HE is very real if we will look. George Straight has a new song, "I saw God today". Take a listen. We saw him in the faces of our children and the new friends that we made on the journey.
Another thing that Amanda and I did was to get all of the kids bage to take on the plane for small toys, etc. We have our backpacks and all four have bags. They are small enough for the kids to carry. Wrong. Papa and Mama carry all the bags and the two youngest. FUN!

Next is a three hour lay over in Atlanta. Birmingham is 2 hours away. Advice for parents from Bham - drive from ATlanta to Bham. During the lay over the kids began to show their fatigue. So I did what any good father would do. Bribed them with ice cream ! It took me two trips before we actually got ice cream. Yesterday in Ukraine - today in Atlanta airport. When your world consisted of the routine of the orphanage, this can shake anyone. Victoria (Vica) considered the entire airport her chance to play the chase me game. After ice cream it was Benadryl time. Note for adoptive parents - when flying with kids take Benadryl. We are having a good trip and then we get on the connecting flight to the Bham.

All are sleepy and the pilot announces that we will have a 35 minute delay to take some gas OUT of the plane ? Are you kidding me ? Apparently, if there is too much gas in the plane you cannot land in Bham because of the weight. It is a good thing that I didn't have ice cream or we would have been longer. One hour later we are on the way to Bham. (Reminder: Birmingham is a two hour drive). Christian begans to cry on the plane and I have to replace the man sitting in the aisle to figure out the problem. That man was very generous to give up his seat. I talk to him and cannot figure out the problem. After a few minutes, I hold him and he indicates that he has to pee. We go to the bathroom and the crying stops. It is a bad feeling not knowing what is wrong with the children because of language.

We get off of the plane and began to walk the corridor to see our immediate family. This is very surreal and exciting. The first person I see is my brother Jeff. I almost felt like crying knowing that he and Jordan wanted to be there. It is over an hour to their home in Locust Fork and it is midnight. He is a great, brother, father to three wonderful girls, and man. I love him and his entire family. Then we see all of the grandparents. Honey and Big Lee were instrumental in getting the house set up and the rooms done for the kids. Grandmother and grandmother Fred (not a typo, long story for another blog) also helped in a big way and continue to do things for us. It was great to see them all. Amanda and I love you more than words can say and know that you will get as much joy as we will from your new granchildren. P - A friend indeed.

After getting our luggage, we are off to the house. You never quite realize how much you love home until you go away for 6 or 7 weeks. We pull up in front of the house and there sits a car. It is James Willis, a young man that attends Spain Park and will play at Miss. College. Amanda and I love this boy and are very proud of the strides that he has made. James, we hope you are always in our life and will always be welcome in our home. We love you. Mr. B thanks for telling him.

Out in front is a sign welcoming the Hood's home. Kenny and Tresha, we love the sign and the help. The house looked great. We arrive inside and the kids go nuts. There are clothes, video tapes, and toys in the front room from the people at OMHS. Thanks to you all. Melissa - your generosity and leadership and appreciated. We then go upstairs and see the beautiful new rooms. All of you that helped with this, we thank you from the bottom of our heart. Aunt Deb, Jimmy, and Jenny - we are blown away by your gift of time, energy, and effort in painting, decorating, and hanging fans. You guys are awesoe. I do hope we see you more often. I do not recall every one that helped, but please know that we are grateful.

To the kitchen and there is evidence that Martha Wall has been there. Food everywhere. You are special to our family. We love you. Thank you to all that contributed to filling the cupboars. What a blessing. Randolph and board - true friends.

The kids are on overload with the toys, clothes and new rooms. The grandparents are immediately whipped. Playing and laughing with the kids. Watching Olivia model all of her clothes and smile were worth it all. Especially for her. She hasn't laughed until we got home. Now she is happy. Big Lee - Vica had you in five minutes. Christian loves his microphone and toy gun. The grandmothers were loved by all. It was a beautiful thing to see. Fred, JD, Wanda and Lee - you have made a difference in their lives already. We are blessed to have you as parents.

I go outside on the deck and some of my trees are gone and the back yard is raked. On the tree is a sign that says, "Welcome Home - From your new Big Brothers at OMHS - Coming Soon" On the sign is a picture of a playset that is being installed. Being a Head football coach is a complicated job. You are never really sure how much your players and parents care for you and your family. My players have shown my family and I incredible support and love. OMHS football players - I Love you and you have shown to be the best kind of men - warriors with heart. I am proud to be your coach. To the football parents - your prayers, e-mails, and kindness have helped us make it through. Ken and Michelle - you have big hearts, it was good to see you again and we tahnk you. Kathy, we were kept up to date with your and the others families acts of kindness. God bless you. Parents -thank you for allowing me the chance to coach your children.

We have now trying to settle in our home routine. The kids are smiling and playing. All of you have helped make a life for these four wonderful children. Vica and Daniel love the bubble bath. Olivia and Christian had a great time at practice.

We must go for now. Amanda is making breakfast and the kids are starting to play. The house seems so full of noise and energy. They all have on their pajamas and will soon have a FAMILY breakfast. God is Cool ! Got to go someone just called for PAPA. "I saw God Today"

Jerry

PS. I missed most of you that helped and supported. Please know that we thank you and love you all. Until...............

19 comments:

Connie said...

Rejoicing with you and 'reliving' our homecoming through yours!!!

Will be praying for ya'll during these early days/weeks/months as you settle in to your new family.

Indeed, God is good--all the time!

Mrs. Brock said...

Yea God!!! Welcome home to all of you!
Ruth

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Hoorah! What a joyous time! This is wonderful!!! We will continue to pray for smooth transitioning with language and such a huge life change for you all.
Tons of love! Praise God!
Hill

Zack, Jenn and William said...

What a beautiful homecoming! I thank God for uniting you with your children, and for the miracles He has performed to get you to this place (I've been there, and I KNOW there must be miracles in order to finalize int'l adoption!).

I remember how frustrated we would sometimes get during those first few weeks, especially if William was upset. Our first questions to him were always "Pee-sit? Kah-kit? Eat? Ouchie?". Eat & ouchie were accompanied with charades, as were many things at first :)

Now the real fun begins!! Feel free to email me anytime if you guys need tips on those first few weeks home. You'll be amazed at how fast they change & catch on. This will be an amazing (and crazy) time for you!

Mother said...

Words cannot express how happy we are that ya'll are home safe. Seeing all of you at the airport was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. We love these children as we love you both.
I am so very proud of you both for finding the children you were destined to raise. Seeing the 6 of ya'll together you can tell God meant for this to happen. I am one very proud grandmother.
Can't stop crying.
Honey

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that ya'll are home! We can't wait to see ya'll and have our kids meet yours! We should be "home" by the end of summer. Pray that our house sells soon.
Love ya,
The Blounts

Anonymous said...

God is so good! May He bless you all. We can't wait to see Hood's Hope...now a reality!
Joy,
James and Suzanne

annieck said...

YEA, YEA, YEA!!! I am beyond thrilled for you guys!!!
Welcome home!!!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! James told me all about the BIG arrival. I warned him that everyone may be very tired and grumpy, but it sounds like just the opposite was true! I am sure that you are getting bombarded with family and friends eager to meet the children, but I would love to introduce them all to Amanda and Dylan when things settle down. Good luck and let us know if we can help you in anyway.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

So glad your home! I know I will have to get in line for a visit, You should have a revolving front door! How are the kids liking your cooking? Bet it taste pretty good compared to what they are used to! HAHA! Hope the transition goes smoothly and English comes easy! WELCOME HOME HOOD FAMILY WELCOME HOME! love, D

Blaine said...

Welcome home! Enjoy that wonderful feeling of "reverse culture shock". I remember well (nine months ago) that feeling after spending six weeks in Ukraine adopting our boys. Reverse Culture Shock is real, you can read about it on our blog under July 2007.

Emily said...

my eyes are full of tears of joy as i type. i am so happy for you and your families. how wonderful! God is so good. yall are gonna have a blast now! please keep posting. i love yall! em

holly said...

Jerry, I haven't met you, but from your words, I KNOW Amanda is blessed to have you as a husband and father for these kiddos! I'm thrilled for ya'll Amanda, and know you are in our prayers.
Holly and family

Donna said...

Okay- tears in my eyes- Welcome Home!!!! You guys are in for a great adventure! Congratulations!!!

Living Life with Sophia said...

Congratulations! Enjoy getting to know your kids!

Ken & Melissa said...

We are so excited that you and your beautiful children have made it home safely! Can not wait to meet them, enjoy everyday to the fulliest!
Love Always,
Ken & Melissa

Anonymous said...

Welcome to you and your family. I adopted 3 sisters 4/1/06. I am available to talk or email if you are interested. My name is Diane Marra and I live in Northern VA. my email is obidobi422@verizon.net. You are in for some awesome blessings, struggles and stretching as God knits together your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I am so glad you are home. I pray that everything goes smoothly and fast in your everyday living. I am so, soo happy for you but especially for these four children. They have been doubly blessed. I can't wait to see them and love on them a little bit. Love and prayers as you make this life change and all the adjustments you will have to make.

I love you, Shirley

Anonymous said...

Got this by email today and thought it was so perfect for Amanda.

Before I was a Mom ~
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom ~
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom ~
I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom ~
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put him down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom ~
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mom ~
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much,
before I was a Mom.