Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Week of "Lasts"


Jerry and I spent an eventful Saturday night packing all of our clothes for our "unagendad" trip to Ukraine. Can you imagine trying to pack for 8 weeks, in a country that you have never been to, during the season change, without a planned agenda, not knowing if you will have a washing machine, and taking "kid things" for who knows how many children, not mention boys or girls or ages? ( I know the commas are not right in that last sentence- The teacher part of me is worried about that!) Welcome to the world of the Hoods'!!
We went to church this morning for the last time in a while. It was wonderful to see everyone and our friend, JT gave us a few last minute suggestions. He and his wife have been through this journey twice. I can not imagine!!
We are in the moments of "lasts". Our last time at our church, our last Saturday night, our last week at work, and all of the other things that are coming this week. All of this is punctuated with the fact that this may be our last normal week as non-parents. Whoo-hoo!! Not that we don't love it being just the two of us, but we are both ready to expand the Hood family!
As Jerry sits here taking in his Sunday afternoon nap (that has immediately followed his long list of things he MUST get done), I am certainly enjoying the calmness. The weather is beautiful, which seems like such a tease, since we are headed off to weather in the 30's.
This time next week, we will be writing you from Ukraine with all the details of our journey. Please pray that we both make it over there. I may throw Jerry off the plane before we get there!! Imagine my husband, a big guy, who had the attention span of gnat, confined in a small space, in the same seat for a total trip of 18 hours. Wish me luck!
Amanda

11 comments:

The C's said...

Glad I got see to see ya'll this weekend! Jerry- I hope you completed all of your assignments :). Enjoy the last week of work!! YAY! We will see you Friday night. Love, K

Mother said...

The time is almost here. Everything I know is ready. I'm sure the LIST has been completed. It is very exciting for both your Dad and I; knowing that we will be grandparents next week. I couldn't sleep last night for thinking of all the things I need to do when ya'll finally find out the sexes and ages. Please don't throw each other off the plane at least not until you are on your way back. Dad and I will be here for the children if you do. Ha Ha I still pray for everything to go smooth. We will see you Friday night for the Farewell, Good-Luck dinner.
Love ya, Honey and Big Lee

Ron said...

First a small correction. We Hoods do not have the attention span of gnats, we have very active minds and are always thinking. It is sometimes misunderstood as having a short attention span.

Mere words cannot tell how much we love the two of you and we sill soon have another cousin or cousins to love.

We will think about you and pray for you continually.

Ron, Jan and Savannah

Jerry and Amanda said...

Kea,
I got in trouble for watching
U-Tube while Amanda went to work. I am trying to expand my technological realm.

Honey,
You are a good blogger. The List is done. I think?

Ron,
I told her that there was an explanation for my drifts in attention. We Hood's are brilliant!
I love you all. Tell my girls hello and give them a big hug. No hugs for you Ron.
Jerry

terri garver said...

I know that there isn't peanut butter to be found in Ukraine, so take it with you. You will find that you adapt to the lifestyle there. People wear the same clothes just about every day which is really good on your traveling. Hopefully in Kiev you will stay near Fridays restaurant so you can feel at home!!!!!!!! They have Coke and Coke Light (diet coke) anywhere. Kiev is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. You are so right when you said that next week your life will never be the same- it will be so much better! Can't wait to keep up with the blog while you are there.
Love-The Garver's

Belinda Stroud said...

Jerry and Amanda,
I just read of your trip to the Ukraine from the Meadow Brook Prayer chain. What a coincidence it is that my college roommate is headed home today with her husband and their new daughter from the Ukraine! You will be in our prayers as you travel and as God makes your family complete. If you have a spare minute this week call me 981-9881 and I can forward some pictures to you of our friends. It was a wonderful experience for them and I am sure it willbe for you as well. Belinda Stroud

Anonymous said...

Jerry and Amanda,
We are so excited for you!
We will be praying for you and your new family that soon God, in His glory, will reveal!
These next several weeks will be filled with highs and lows but remember God is in control and HE IS GOOD!
May you feel His presence during this precious time!
Blessings,
Wendy and Tim Garner

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
(God will reward you for your faithfulness!)

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you guys! We have been praying for your trip and will cover you up in prayer while you're gone. "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7 You know how to reach us if you need ANYTHING before you leave. We can't wait to meet your new family! daryl, cathy, whit and kaye leigh

Anonymous said...

Amanda and Jerry-

What an incredible journey you are about to begin! I am so glad that the church directed me to your site. I look forward to following along. I haven't gotten to know you well yet since Jason and I are new to the church (although y'all know each other from the Selma days) but when we do sit behind you at church...just watching you interact with our church family...I can already tell you both will be incredible parents!!

"May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace."
-Numbers 6:24-26

Diana and Jason Jones

Anonymous said...

Jerry and Amanda,
We are so very excited for you. God is so good. We can't wait to meet your sweet children. Know that we are praying for you when you are gone.
Love,
Ashley and Will Gregory

Anonymous said...

Hi
I don't know if I have this fixed or not we will see. Fred said hello and he loves you both. it is raining here today. fred is at limestone. jeff and family are fine. hope things go good for you
the countryside sounds so pretty.
until we hear from you
lots of love

momma/jd