Monday, March 17, 2008

Welcome to the new neighborhood!!


Thank you for all of your posts! It is great to hear from everyone. We are now in Day 1 of waiting in Kiev. Please pray for us to find clarity in this situation and for God to show us exactly what his plan is. We have truly enjoyed our trip so far and Ukraine is a wonderful place! We simply need patience, understanding, and swiftness. We are very comfortable with the decisions that we have made since we have been here but are anxious to have the opportunity to move forward.

We have changed apartments from the first one that we lived in when we arrived. Our new apartment is in a different area and we are still finding our way around. It is about a 30 minute walk to our "old stomping grounds" which is by TGI Fridays. We are eating one big meal a day and usually snacking the rest of the time. We are certainly drinking a lot of bottled water! Jerry is completely impressed with himself on how well he is getting around. He trying to speak Ukrainian as much as possible and gets so excited when someone understands him and responds!!

We have attempted to wash our clothes. Our apartment has a washing machine and we are hanging our clothes on a clothesline to dry. You should see our apartment!!

Kea- Thanks for the Rock of Love update. We were trying to find it on the TV last night (even if they were sepaking Ukrainian! ) Jerry didn't like Krinty Jo anyway. I am routing for Ambre too! Jerry likes Daisy :) Tell Lee congrats on the big turkey! We love being able to Skype so get it set up!

Mom- I have almost read all of my books. The Darcy Daughters was very good! We are waiting on you to get to work to call you!

Holly and Carlee- I hope Sunny is madly in love with you both by now! I told you he was tempermental! The garbage is picked up on Mondays and Thursdays. They will come down the driveway and pick it up from the side of the house (as long as it is bagged!)

Ron and Steve- Download SKYPE to your computer. If you are too old to do it, Savannah can teach you both! (It is on the web.)

Shirley- We love you!

To OM and SP- Hope you are having a great Spring Break!!!! Thank you for the posts Martha! Chris and Sarah- Tell Luke and Eli to keep sending up sweet prayers!

Andy, Terri, and Jana- Thank you for the phone calls. They always come at the perfect times!

We love you all and are still working on the pictures!

Amanda

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry and Amanda,
Do you think everyone thinks y'all are from the southern Ukraine with your accents?
We're still praying. Jeremiah 29:11 says..."For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Count on God's best for you and your future family.
James and Suzanne

The C's said...

I have a feeling ya'll are going to never want to eat at TGI Friday's again when you get back! haha. Hopefully the next appointment will get set up very quickly and things will pick up.

Melissa Dixon said...

Good morning. I cannot help thinking of you as the temperature here climbs to the seventies today! The boys and I are going through clothing that they've outgrown to save for you. Much of it is practically new since what they think is so cool in the stores loses its appeal at home. Six months later, I discover we've outgrown something we've never worn! I expected that from girls, but not my little men! I usually pass along our stuff to Luke and Eli, but I'm sure they'll understand this time!
Isaiah 58:11, "The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs..." Remember this as you continue your journey. We are all sending up massive prayers for you!

Anonymous said...

You can have Luke and Eli's clothes anytime! You can have ours too if that will make any difference! I'm all over your definitive prayer ideas. Let's see: Luke has only made Eli cry twice this morning and can't understand why his father wants to read the paper in lieu of being Darth Vador. I heard this strange banging while I was filling my coffee mug and went outside to discover Eli banging on the garage door with his hammer. I encouraged him to at least put on some clothes before he did such strenuous work! Needless to say, things are about the same here. Ms. Amee, I need a chip house fix! ;-) CC is invited too of course! I'm dying to talk to you! So, hook me up with a time. I feel silly writing all of this on your blog, so would your email be better? Which do you prefer?

Love,
S

Ron said...

You know - there is no need in getting personal. TOO OLD...TOO OLD???? HOW DARE YOU? As Andy Griffith used to say, "That cuts deeeeeep."

I have Skype installed, I've just got to get a microphone for my computer. I'll pick one up this week so that you will quit insulting me.

We really are praying for you constantly.

One of our pastors preached a sermon years ago that I will never forget. He was preaching about the 3 guys in the fiery furnace and the message was that God promised to deliver us THROUGH the fire but not necessarily FROM the fire.

God will deliver you and take care of you!

I will not insult you both and say I know what you are going through because I don't, but we do love you both and we will keep you in our prayers constantly.

Ron, Jan and Savannah

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I can't get that picture of Jerry in those clothes erased from my memory, can I?? haha! That is hilarious! He's chillin'- Kiev style, right? Thanks so much for the photos. I think y'all look pretty good for being jet-lagged! And I love knowing what your little coffee shop looks like.

I was thrown up on twice yesterday in the car on the way home by my kiddos. I can't wait for you to experience the JOYS of motherhood!!! Is there a way you can test them for car-sickness before you bring them home?!?

We are in constant prayer for you. God is good all the time, so know that HE is in charge and will be glorified in your life story.
Love you both bunches (Even in those clothes!)
Hill

Mother said...

Jerry and Amanda,
I knew that sewing kit would come in handy.Sorry Jerry, she never took Home Ec. I love the pictures. The town looks beautiful. Hope ya'll can get a little sight seeing in while you are waiting. How is the shopping over there? I have talked to Big Lee and have caught him up on everything that is going on over there. We will try to call you again tomorrow morning before we leave for work so he can talk to you.
I'm looking for some good books to send you.
It was good to see the picture of ya'll smiling.
Love ya,
Honey

Anonymous said...

Coach,
I love the picture of you in the Ukranian clothes! It looks like something I would wear doesn't it. Make sure that you have time for your "Big 15" to stay in shape. Sounds like you guys are walking a good bit. Losing any weight? Or are you snacking on the wrong stuff? Just kidding with you guys.

We have the whole city of Clanton praying for you guys. When one window closes, a door will open. Yall mean the world to us. Brock and Riley are looking forward to having some more friends to play with on the track on Friday nights.

The Barron Fam.

Anonymous said...

I was sooooo glad to see an update when I got home from work. It's the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing at night (and several in between). It was great to see the pictures. I loved seeing you both smiling. Jerry, I thought you looked snazzy in your clothes. Never mind what everyone else thinks. I'm praying that the next segment of your journey will be swift in coming and the end results will be just what you need. God knows exactly who needs to be your children. My scripture for the day is "Trust in the Lord with all your might and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Praying for straight paths.

Love & Prayers,
Shirley

Anonymous said...

I uploaded Skype all by myself. However, mic I was going to use doesn't work. I will purchase in morning. From there, you have to tell me a time.
I catch myself thinking of you guys constantly. I feel a part of me is over there with you. It is evident how much your loved from these comments.
Amazingly I can empathize with you, don't grow impatient, totally depend on Him. Remember Footprints, when you look back from this, you will ONLY see one set of footprints.
Steven

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I missed you guys. I have headset now. Laptop on at all times. I know your 7 hours ahead, but call ANYTIME, I can sleep later.
Love you
Steven

Cindy said...

Hey guys! Love the pants!!! I am so glad to get pictures and see your faces. I am praying for courage in patience in this next phase of your journey. What's the weather like? More importantly...what's the food like? Sending big cyber hugs...
Love,
Cindy