Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day One

We began our 10 day waiting period today. It was a great but exhausting. We tackled all four children today! Whew! Our facilitator left for Kiev today since we will not be doing anything but visiting the kids for the next 10 days. Jerry and I are back into our walking routine like we had when we were in Kiev. It is approximately a 30 minute walk from our apartment to the orphanage. We visit twice per day, which means we are walking for a total of 2 hours per day with juice, snacks, and toys in tow!

This morning we had a great time. Everyone was very CALM, which was a pleasant surprise. The oldest children, who understand what is going on, reminded me that they only have 9 days left. They are very excited and are making airplane sounds! The DVD player came in handy today as we watched a small part of the movie Cars. #2 loved it! We also had some music going. One minute everyone was calm and the next minute, we were all doing the twist! After that came Jungle Boogie! It was one of those moments! It was so much fun!Everyone went back to their group, and as Papa took #2 back, they slipped and fell. #2 bumped his head and has a big knot! Jerry feels terrible. #2 did not cry but it obviously hurt. We let the doctor look at it and he is ok. It is just a goose egg.

This afternoon was a milestone. We took all four outside to play at the same time. They all did very well and had a great time! The are very competitive for our attention. #1 really helped with #3 and #4. When #4 came to play this afternoon, she walked in wearing bright pink lipstick and green eyeshadow! I told you she was spoiled! Her caretakers had obviously been playing make-up with her! She wanted to show me and put some more lipstick on with her black crayon. All I need is a baby who likes the gothic dress!! She also used leggos to pretend like she was putting make-up on me!

We made it through day one-5 hours of playing with four children and 2 hours of walking back and forth. The more we can be with all four of them at the same time, the more manageable it gets! They all really love being together and it is obvious that it is important to them. The are very sweet to each other. If one cries, the other three run to help. Today was the first time that they let me handle a crying sibling. I picked up #3 (who was crying), and looked at the other three and told them that everything was OK. They smiled and walked away. I guess they think that I can handle it now. Before, they would have wormed their way in to make things better.

Thank you again for all of the posts! You will never know how much all of the encouragement helps. We are SOOO ready to get the chidlren home and get into OUR rountine. Any of you that know me understand that patience is not a virtue that I was blessed with. It is certainly a virtue that has been acquired through this experience. God just never stops teaching you to grow!!

Love from Ukraine,
Amanda

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your blogs. You just paint us a picture. I look forward to them each day (many times). I'm glad it's going well and they are getting more comfortable with you. They are so blessed to be coming home with you two.

Love, Shirley

Scott said...

We are so excited for you. Our children know your children (we adopted from the same orphanage). I hope we can stay in touch.

My wife also asks if you could let the director (Ludmilla) know that we are going to write and send pictures we're just slower than we intended. We adopted 2, 7 and 9 year old siblings. The court date was end of November and the children left the orphanage in early December.

I don't want to use names on a blog though. If we could email we can discuss more (saintandsinner dot jmj at gmail dot com). Thanks and God bless you.

Michelle Copeland said...

Amanda and Jerry,
I cannot tell you how excited I am for you ALL!!! 4 is an awesome number. It is hard at times, but the house is always filled with someone to hug and kiss. You both are going to have a lifetime of crazy times and never a dull moment. Amanda, What you said about you taking care of #3 and the others let you handle it is huge!!! They are trusting you and know that you are going to be there to take care of them. Awesome job Mommy! Jerry, just kiss the boo boos and know that it is not the last! Don't feel bad. Things just happen. About the competitiveness, they will stay that way. That is what siblings do. (I happen to like it because it sure makes me feel loved) :)
A couple of things to remember: RIGHT when you get home, get EVERY permanent marker and throw them away!!! They can find them anywhere and change the pattern in your furniture within seconds!!! NExt: make-up is so fun, But... my Victoria drew a line through my house on the carpet with my lipstick so keep that put up also. Next: Gum! Yummy, but seems to always find it's way into hair. Don't cut the hair it is stuck in, buy Goo Gone! If you rub a little into the gum it turns into what I think looks like pencil eraser crumbs and falls right out! :) I have lots of those little hints and I will give you more later. Have a great trip home. Thanks for letting us be a part! They are all so beautiful and you all looked like movie stars on TV!Oh yeah, SPHS prom was a success! :) I cannot believe my little girl is 17 and went to her 1st prom!They grow up so fast!
Michelle

Kevin and Krista said...

Sounds perfect! Congratulations. :)

Have you mentioned the ages of the four kids yet? I'm not sure if I missed that or if you haven't said so far.

Thanks for keeping the blog. It is so nice to read and take notes.

:) Krista

Anonymous said...

The countdown is great -- I don't know that I've noticed anyone else count down the 10-days that way. Anyway, continuing to pray for your fabulous family!

Mother said...

Good Morning my children,
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. This time you spend with my grandchildren(doesn't that sound good)is very important. Each day they will grow more attached and trusting of you both. How is the shopping in bazaar going? Have you narrowed down some of the sizes? Isn't it fun shopping for children? I am going to email you all the details of my weekend; it has been very eventful both good and bad but overall it was a success.
I went by the house and saw Sunny. He was asleep on your bed as usually. He looked great and so did the house. It is just waiting for that big family to come home and fill it up.
Well, look for my email,
Love to you both,
Honey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! This is so exciting. We continue to pray for strength and most of all PATIENCE!!! Amanda, I was not blessed with patience, but I pray hard for it each day before the kids get up. I tried to explain to Brock that Coachy and Amanda were going to have their own children and we would get to go play. I cannot wait!!
Let us know of anything that we can do for you at home.
Tamra

Anonymous said...

Could you tell us the ages of the four children?

Unknown said...

What an incredible journey God has taken you on. We are reserving an entire pew at MBBC for the Hood family! Praying for continued success and an enjoyable flight home soon to your many supporters.
TN

Kelley and J.T. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Valerie...husband Randy. We are in Oak Mountain area. We are bringing a group of 14 orphan children again to keep in our home this summer June 4 - June 18. They are ages 6-15. We are excited! We also found out that we may be traveling in July to go and adopt ourselves...we are in the process to adopt five more children ages 7-15. We are so excited. It has been a blessing to read your blog. We have translators that live in our home so please let us help at any time! Praying for you and the rest of the journey...God is so good. Blessings, Valerie Hall

Chris Jones said...

Amanda and Coach Hood,

Our prayers are with you and these children will be blessed to have good parents like yall. God Bless you in this endeavor.

Chris and Allison Jones

Anonymous said...

I've been following your journey through Melanie and Jason's blog. It's amazing how you can feel the love of our Father when reading your updates. I pray that the transition would go smoothly for you and your family. Enjoy your family and give them lots of candy!

The Brocks said...

Just located your blog today. Our dossier has been accepted, we are no looking for a journey there until around Sept. Best of luck and will remember you in our prayer. I will be interested to read backwards to catch up with you guys.